please help with shipping

michellelmybell
New Community Member

i cant figure this out. we have a website and we have used paypal as the payment and shipping method. we sell clothing. here is my problem. we want to set a shipping amount of $7 no matter how much they buy! but paypal keeps charging $7 per item at checkout....it seems really crazy to charge a customer $14 in shipping for 2 small shirts! i have edited my shipping method sooooo many times! and it changes nothing! really need a play by play on how to work this!

thank you

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

we want to set a shipping amount of $7 no matter how much they buy!

Yes, you can do that however, you need to use the shipping override variables in your item button code.  This will override your account profile shipping table calculations. 

See the tips below:   (note the use of the handling_cart variable)

You can override the shipping charges on a button by including the following variables:  "shipping" and/or, "shipping2".   Note, the shipping variables are related to the item it is associated with, not the entire shopping cart.   The "shipping" variable is the cost of shipping the first item.   The "shipping2" variable is the cost you would charge for additional numbers of the same item.   Let's say you charge $1.00 to ship the first item, but you might give a price break for the anything beyond the first item.   So, for purchasing more of the item you would charge $.50 per item (2 through x). 

For example: 

For non-hosted item button code, you can override the Profile Shipping Table calculations by adding the following lines to your extisting button code: 

<input type="hidden" name="shipping" value="1.00"> 
 <input type="hidden" name="shipping2" value=".50"> 

If using the Online Button Creator: 

For "hosted" or "encrypted" item button code you need to modify button code using the "Advanced Variables" in Step 3.   Note the text box near the bottom of the page.  There you can insert extra variables.   For example, to insert the "shipping" and "shipping2" override variables just enter: 

shipping=1.00 
 shipping2=.50 

There's no HTML extras, just the name of the variable, an equal sign and the value. 

How to check to see if you have the shipping override enabled. 

Note, you have to have at least one shipping method setup for the shipping override variables to be recognized.   If you don't have at least one shipping method setup, you must set one up first. 

* Select Profile. 
 * Select My Selling Tools. 
 * Under Shipping my Item, you will see Shipping preferences and Shipping Calculations. 
 * Click on Update next to Shipping Calculations. 
 * On the next page, look for "Override Shipping Methods Per Transaction".   It should be "ON". 
 * If not, you need to Edit your settings. 
 * Look for "Use the shipping fee in the transaction instead of my calculator's settings:" 
 * Select "Yes". 
 * Save changes. 

Notes concerning the use of the "handling_cart" variable and the "handling" variable.   The "handling_cart" variable is used with Add to Cart Item Buttons and unlike "shipping" and "shipping2" it's value applies to the entire shopping cart.   The value will only be applied one time.   You can include the "handling_cart" variable with multiple item buttons but, it will only be applied by the first button thats selected.   All other selections will be ignored for that shopping session.   Should you use different values for this variable, depending on which one is applied first, the Shipping amount displayed may be different than expected. 

The "handling" variable is used with Buy Now Item Buttons.   With either variable, "handling_cart" or "handling", the value will be included with the Shipping amount on the PayPal Screens and not displayed as a separate line item. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.