options on2, on3, etc. do not appear in transaction details?

Epimetheus

How to get more than two options to show up in the transaction details?

It is impossible to fulfill an item, say, a shirt with color (on0), size (on1), material (on2), and monogram (on3).

All options appear in the email to the customer

Only two options appear in the details of the transaction.

Actual example. Note the email recipt shows the complete 4 options, the details show only 2 options.

email recipt to the customer:

-----

The following options were included with this payment:

Notes: another test
Re: In memory of
Type: Public
Fund: Green Party

----

Details in both the customer and merchant account show only the first 2 options:

----

Purpose:   Purchase of item XYZ
Notes: another test
Re: In memory of

----

Thank you for any help with this.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You did not mention the type of item button you're using.  I have to guess that you're working with Donations.

When using the command value "_donations" in your item button code, use Option Variables "on0", "os0", "on1" and "os1" as these values will appear in the email notifications and your Account Transaction History. 

Option Variables "on2", "os2", "on3", "os3", etc., will not work with the command value "_donations" as these values will NOT appear in the email notifications or your Account Transaction History. 

If you need to use these additional Option Variables, use the command value "_xclick" instead of "_donations".   Note, Because this method does not use the actual command for Donations, it works similar to Buy Now item button code.   You won't see the "Purpose" or "Donation Amount" headers on the PayPal Screens. 

Shipping fees do not apply to donations.

Login to Me Too

Epiemethius
Contributor
Contributor

showshoe, thank you so much!    Heart Simply changing _donations to _xclick resolved the entire problem.

it is OK if the user does not see the standard "Purpose" or "Donation" on the screen. I have created those as stand-alone text fields.  There is jscript validation for numbers and upper limits.

It opened up many possibilities for  custom direction of donations and the office staff does not have to cut-and paste all the details from the emails. 

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Good to hear.  (suggest marking your post as "solved", else someone will tag a different question to your post)

Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Dayron
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the exact same boat and I just posted this ias another topic:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Business/Paypal-custom-html-form-not-recording-on-os-2-6-v...

However it appears the answer to my issue lies in this thread. YES!!!!!!!!!

However, could you clarify exactly what needs ot be done?

does simply changing "_donations" to "_xclick" save the day and make all on\os variables show up?

Do I need to change anything else?

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you need to use these additional Option Variables, use the command value "_xclick" instead of "_donations".   Note, Because this method does not use the actual command for Donations, it works similar to Buy Now item button code.   You won't see the "Purpose" or "Donation Amount" headers on the PayPal Screens. 

Note, there has been some policy changes concerning donations:

The donation item button is intended for fundraising.   If you are not raising money for a cause, please choose another option.   Nonprofits must verify their status to withdraw donations they receive.   Users that are not verified nonprofits must demonstrate how their donations will be used, once they raise more than $10,000.

Login to Me Too

Dayron
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for quick reply. I felt like I was sinking there for a bit :).

This is for a non-profit client of mine.

So there is no way to collect funds AND collect more than 2 custom text fields?

In this non-profit's case (as with other non profits I've done work for) they often need to collect funds and want specific information that may not be a paypal default and may exceed 2 custom fields.

Why does paypal not allow for such options for actual donations (including the Purpose and Donation headers)?

This kind of verbaige is important to donors and when the donation page and checkout experience is similar to buying a hat or t-shirt it can leave a donor feeling more like a customer than a caring partner in the cause.

Please dont' get me wrong. In the end... _xclick works and I'm glad there is a workaround and I'm totally appreciative you have taken the time to give it and discuss. But the work-around presents the transaction like a donor is buying a tshirt or some other product, not partnering in a cause which is why I question why there isn't a better way to do this.

Are there any tips\tricks\other creative methods others use to soften the "buy a donation" experience? If an organization is a 501c3 is there a product they can qualify for (or upgrade to) that allows for more robust donation options and colleting of many custom fields on a transaction?

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can still collect funds and additional info, you just can't use the donation command as it's function is limited.  As to why, can't speak for PayPal, they have their own way of doing things.  Kind of like, why can't I purchase a new car in any color I want?  Cause the car mfgs have their own way of doing things. 

You can do verbiage that provides the customer with enough info that they are doing a donation.  Note, with PayPal you get what you pay for, using Payments Standard, you only pay for the transaction processing thus there are trade offs.

There are other services, just a quick Google Search showed:

http://givingfuel.com/home

http://www.giftworksconnect.com/

And check out this info, there's several other services listed near the bottom of the article:

http://www.idealware.org/articles/few-good-online-donations-tools

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.