item was returned due to usps saying not able to deliver how do i reship~

hamiltonfamfarm
New Community Member

Seems selling on eBay is not near as easy as it used to be......

I have had several issues but this one is today's......

I sent a package to "joe" .Using paypal shipping label..Joes address was confirmed as an ok address to ship to. Several days later the package shows back up at my house with a sticker saying it was not able to deliver due to no mail receptacle(mailbox).

I contacted Joe....he said that is ridiculous he has been receiving mail at that address for years with no problems. I double checked the address.....its correct. I told Joe I would reship and he gave me his work address to ship to so that there for sure would be no problem......

My questions is this.....how do I reship the package without having to pay for it again?? Can I do that? Its not fair to joe or I to have to pay again so where do I go from here.....

I have looked on the site and where the label is but don't see a answer for this....or Im not looking correctly.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately there's no way to reship for free, someone has to pay.  Either you or the customer.  We experienced a similar scenario, we just ate the cost to reship, customer was happy.

Login to Me Too

CSmythe
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an item to a buyer,

I printed shipping label properly through eBay just asI was supposed to-

it had the buyer`s correct Verified Address on it just as it was supposed to.

This address is the same exact address the buyer has recieved all of his mail AND

previous eBay purchases at with NO problems for YEARS.

The item went through the mail system just fine - the last tracking entry says it got to the correct zip code:

"Out for delivery" on Jan 19 ----

--then later that day---

Tracked as "Undeliverable as Addressed" --

to his Verified Address!!! It clearly made it JUST FINE to the correct local P.O. and went out for delivery!

- Then item dissappears!-- It has not shown up at his local P.O./ nor come back to me(seller) 

I called USPS and filed a case with them- they investigated and said they have "NO IDEA" where it went OR why it was undeliverable as addressed!!! 

-As the Seller am I Protected by eBay or PayPal?

I am FURIOUS with USPS and their extremely egregious unprofessional handling and service.

I did EVERYTHING right (sending to the Verified address) and the buyer supposedly did too-- So who is liable ?

-Am I expected to refund the buyer`s money ? -How do I know that he really didn`t get the item?

I am also going to push this complaint thru to the postmaster general and everyone else that will listen in the USPS system--Especially as this is a critical time for them and their financial situation--

NO WONDER !! If this is the HORRIBLE kind of treatment myself and other customers are reciving !!

Absolutely unacceptible! --And to make matters worse, I spent the money on my electric bill so I didnt get my power shut off! I DESPERATELY NEEDED the money and wasnt informed it was lost until after I spent it!

Please help with any answers...

ALSO- Had a item I bought on eBay shipped to me- it said it was delivered to me Jan 19 but it NEVER SHOWED UP IN MY SECURE MAILBOX !!! UNREAL!! (IRONICALLY THE VERY SAME DAY AS THEY LOST THE ITEM I SENT TO MY BUYER)

NEVER USING USPS AGAIN ---EVER!

Login to Me Too

brewhardware
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There are two parties you have to satisfy. First, paypal will only support sellers if they can prove the item was delivered. For USPS, that means a track and confirm number that shows "delivered". Now, the next person you need to satisfy is the buyer. Let's stay it WAS USPS's fault that the item didn't make it. That doesnt' really matter to the customer right? I mean, you might explain to them that it was out of your control, but as the seller, it's your job to make the customer happy and get them what they paid for. If you're just selling an item or two via Ebay, then I guess it's just a small price to pay via your feedback system. However, if you're trying to run a real business, poor customer experiences can end your business pretty quickly when everyone has a blog and a voice on various forums.

It's unfortunate that USPS is going to suffer losses and make mistakes and in general, they are pretty good at getting packages where they are going. My business only uses USPS and out of 465K of sales in 2012, we only lost about $600 to lost packages. UPS is generally better due to their tracking, but they also don't offer $5 flat rate across the country.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.