delivering PDF after payment

kkbedard
New Community Member

I understand i need to have Auto Return set up in order to direct someone back to my website after making a payment via the paypal button on my site.

I need to deliver an ebook - but I have several different versions of the ebook. Can I create more than one link (one to deliver each different ebook) and if so how do I deliver the correct URL based on the version of the book that was purchased?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Auto-Return works with Payment Data Transfer (PDT) to send transaction details back to your return URL on your site.  It is NOT recommended that you handle post-transaction processing from this page, though, because even with Auto-Return enabled there is no guarantee that the user will make it back to your return URL.  They could simply close the browser before the redirect, for example, and I promise you that will happen a lot.  In which case your code on that page would never run.  

The best way to handle this is to use Instant Payment Notification (IPN) which is very similar to PDT except that it works behind-the-scenes with PayPal's server, completely separate from the checkout itself.  

Within that you can easily add some code logic to check the product that was purchased and deliver the correct PDF accordingly.

Another option would be to setup a full ecommerce system like WordPress + WooCommerce + PayPal for WooCommerce

Either way, you will need a developer to set that all up for you, of course.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.