What items constitute gross sales in a 1099k

mcebuddy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to integrate paypal with quicken to manage the books and taxes. It's a *bleep*ing nightmare, paypal's reporting is absoutley useless. The QIF files are missing many transaction items (like eChecks) so I need to manually reconcile the missing payments.

This led to another realization, I'm using hte balance impacting CSV file to reconcile. I see many other items like temp holds and some other holds when debit card purchases are made.

My question is which of the items constitute the gross sales reported on the 1099k? Would temp hold be included in gross sales? (every time I use the debit card I get a temp hold and then a release)

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Dustin

Hi mcebuddy,

That's a great question.

The dollar amount shown on the Form 1099-K is your total gross payments received for sales of goods or services that were received through PayPal for the previous calendar year. As required by the IRS, this amount includes all fees and/or payments associated with your sales, including shipping fees or sales tax received. As the dollar amount on your Form 1099-K is a gross amount, any adjustments for credits, cash equivalents, discounts, fees, refunded amounts or any other amounts will not be netted out.

In addition, the reported amount will include any shipping and handling, sales tax or other fees which are included in payments you receive. We realize that these amounts may or may not be included in your taxable income, but we are required to report them. You should work with your tax advisor to determine how these items should be treated for tax purposes.

We are reporting gross annual payment received for the sale of goods or services. All sales will be taken into account, including any transaction that may have resulted in a refund, reversal or chargeback. We exclude Personal (P2P, Person to Person) transactions that are not for the sale of goods or services, Add Funds transactions, Dividends paid via Debit Card cashback, or MMF from the report.

PayPal has provided some helpful FAQs at www.paypal.com/irs. For more detailed information please go to www.irs.gov and search for "IRC 6050W".

- Dustin

Login to Me Too

mcebuddy
Contributor
Contributor
What about transactions that are put on hold from the beginning (they were never received) and then cancelled?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.