Selling Services With Semi-Custom Prices

Grahamers
New Community Member

Our consulting company wants to offer some services to our international customers.  Can any PayPal products allows us to do the following:

1. Allow user to initiate a transaction for a service but not demand payment info at first.
  2. Allow user to upload one or more files that becaome attachments to the transation record (PDFs or images.)
  3. On the back end, we would review the attached documents and figure out if default price is OK or if we need to quote a different price (more or less).  
  4. Notify client that the review ius done and that he can finalize the transation which now contains the proper price.
  5. Allow client to return to the transaction and supply payment info.

Obviously, we could do a lot of this by hand via a simple web form, but I thought I would check and see if paypal or anyone else has automated any of these steps?

Thanks in advance!

-Grahamers

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Grahamers,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

"Allow user to initiate a transaction for a service but not demand payment info at first."

All PayPal payments currently do require that we have the billing information on file when the payment is first initiated.  You can use Orders/Authorizations to delay settlement of the funds but you'll need to know around what amount you may be charging.

"Allow user to upload one or more files that becaome attachments to the transation record (PDFs or images.)"

We don't offer the option to upload files during checkout. This would need to be implemented on your website or a 3rd party shopping cart that supports this feature would need to be used.

"Notify client that the review ius done and that he can finalize the transation which now contains the proper price."

If you decided to use Orders/Authorizations , the authorization could be captured once your client has confirmed the price.

Another option would be to use PayPal invoices.  You would have the option to send PayPal invoices manually from your PayPal account or you could use our Invoicing APIs to allow your website to send the invoices automatically.  The invoice amounts are required to have the price so the invoice couldn't be created until after you had reviewed the client's documents and agree on the price.

I hope this information helps to find the best solution for your business. 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.