Sales Tax through PayPal with 2 different businesses- GoDaddy & eBay

EggHeadShop1
Contributor
Contributor

I have a go daddy website & when customers purchase on that website, they are already charged sales tax on the sight before being brought to PayPal to checkout (i went through a tremendous amount of work setting this up b/c choices were to charge flat sales tax or custom, I picked custom & followed each state's sales tax laws).  But now I have an eBay account (just opened) that I have not charged tax on their purchases (the few buyers I've had so far) because I do not want my GoDaddy customers being charged sales tax twice.  Is there a way I can add the sales tax here on PayPal but only charge it to eBay customers/buyers & not GoDaddy customers? Also- on my GoDaddy website/business, the only payment option at checkout is PayPal...I do not have a 2nd merchant account to have the buyers choose instead of PayPal, nor do I want one at this time.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Is there a way I can add the sales tax here on PayPal but only charge it to eBay customers/buyers & not GoDaddy customers?

Unfortunately not as there's no features or options available to do what you have in mind.  If you have a tax table setup in your PayPal Account profile, it applies to all transactions regardless of the source.   The exception would be if you were using the "tax" override variables however, they can only be used with PayPal's item button code.

One work around would be to setup another PayPal Account assuming you have another email address, bank account and credit card as you cannot use the ones currently associated with your present account.

Login to Me Too

EggHeadShop1
Contributor
Contributor

ok thanks

Login to Me Too

EggHeadShop1
Contributor
Contributor

Hey- I just wanted to give an update to you & anyone else who was reading this post-

When I posted the intial post, I did not know that eBay even had a section for sales tax.  With further investigation, they actually do have a section to add sales tax on purchases, so I was able to complete their tax table.  When I initally posted, I just didnt want to have to delete the first tax table for my personal website after putting all that effort into it.  I wish I would have known from the beginning that PayPal has a tax section, and I would have only had to do it once, but at least I was just able to add the tax directly onto eBay.  Most people probably already know that eBay has this sales tax option, but since I was new to eBay, I never used the advanced option tool for selling, they always put me through the "quick listing" so that is why I wasn't able to find the section for sales tax.

Just wanted to give an update because I saw a lot of people viewed this post 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.