Recognising fraudulent payments

doggo
New Community Member

I work for a business, managing the online orders. We have had chargebacks in the past, and recently we have had more orders paid via PayPal that our 3rd party detection software has deemed likely fraudulent. It's really difficult to tell whether or not these transactions are fraudulent via PayPal, and after immense struggle, and unanswered emails, I was able to finally get on the phone with PayPal, to ask how I can detect these fraudulent orders, and was told, there is no way. This puts us in a very vulnerable position for chargebacks. We have received chargebacks for payments that seem extremely usual, and safe. Asking these customers for proof of address, and ID isn't helpful as PayPal only shows us the address that they have given us, and I can't see even the last 4 digits of the card the payment came from, which means I can't ask for a photo of the card the purchase was made with.

Do any other sellers have any advice for detecting fraudulent payments? I was told by the PayPal customer service person on the phone that I am fully within my right to refund and cancel any order, which I understand, however, I'd rather not have to risk offending customers and lose a sale because I can't be sure, and I can't even give these customers a chance to defend themselves, as there is no evidence they can really offer.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

One of the problems with PayPal is that PayPal is the merchant which deals with the credit card company.  PayPal members are using the PayPal merchant bulk account to process orders.  PayPal will have the creidt card information but, as the merchant PayPal needs to comply with PCI standards for security and needs to keep that information secure.  We members are not certified for PCI standards.

All you can do is make sure you ship products and follow all PayPal policies for seller protection.  PayPal takes care of the card validation but doesn't verify addresses, especially of guests.

If you want to manage more security yourself you could obtain your own merchant acocunt with a company such as FirstData; that way you have a closer relationship with the credit card processor.  It won't screen for fraudulent addresses, however; that is your responsibility.

Login to Me Too

doggo
New Community Member

Thanks, that all makes a lot of sense. We offer other forms of payment, such as a credit/debit payemnt gateway, so at the moment I'm trying to think of ways to make people more likely to opt for that over PayPal. The seller protection, really hasn't protected us up to this point.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.