Receiving payment from another Paypal user

johnh509
Contributor
Contributor

I have a friend that needs help. He wants to receive payment from another Paypal user. The person (buyer) is a service member and wants to pay with Paypal. My friend does have a Paypal account. How does he receive a payment from this service person station over seas.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@johnh509

OK well to pay someone all you need is there email address that identifies there paypal account, once it is showing in their paypal balance they can withdraw it to their bank account.

However him being new AND the fact you are talking about overseas makes me think it may be a scam.

Are they asking you or your mate to send to Nigeria or anywhere like that?

Is it an item that they have said they will get a shipping agent to pick up?

Are they saying you have to send trackable before the funds are released to you?

Are they saying they are in the military OR sending it as a gift to a relative OR disabled and can't come to view the items.

All the above = possible scams.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

johnh509
Contributor
Contributor
Member IS in the military on a ship at sea. Saw post on CL and wanted to purchase item. Insisted on Paypal. Will have someone pick up after funds clear. What do you think?
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Scam. 

CL.  Beware

Ship at sea.  Likely scam.

Pickup later while buyer is at sea.  Likely scam.

No seller protection for local pickup.  Scam

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@johnh509

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.