Premier Account "Business Name?"

jseymour
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Searched and searched for an answer to these, but no joy.

I wished to upgrade to a Premier account because I'm going to try my hand at selling some stuff I'm not using, so I suppose I qualify as a "casual seller."

Now here's what's odd.  It wants my "legal business name."  I don't have a "legal business name," unless, by that, they want my real name.  Secondly: When I go back to look at the "account types" information in PayPal's Help section, the references to how to upgrade to a Premier account appear to have vanished since I first looked, earlier this morning.

So... not certain what to do, at this piont...?

Jim

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

There is no premier account now it is called a business account.

BUT if you are not a registered company then you just select the "individual" option when you upgrade. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jseymour
Contributor
Contributor

So use my (full) name as a "Business Name" and it'll give me the option, later, to select "individual?"  Is a business account as an individual just like a premier account used to be, then?

Or, being as I've only ever used PayPal to pay for stuff, and have the intention to sell only casually (if at all), should I just stick with a personal account?

It looks like PayPal has changed the paddles on me, mid-stream.  Now I'm not certain what I should be doing.

Thanks,

Jim

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes if you are not a company then it would just be your full name.

Is a business account as an individual just like a premier account used to be, then?

Yep.

Or, being as I've only ever used PayPal to pay for stuff, and have the intention to sell only casually (if at all), should I just stick with a personal account?

No because you have no seller protection with a personal account. Also they only let you accept x3 card funded payments on a personal account when you sell then you are forced to upgrade.

I sell stuff i no longer want ie items around the house and unwanted pressies etc and i have a business account (individual) ie the old premier account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jseymour
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help, kernowlass, but I think I'll just leave it be, for now.  Looks like PayPal has not thought this change through.

If I try to proceed as "individual/sole proprietor," which is the closest thing they have to "individual," I get a series of follow-up questions that are entirely inapplicable to my situation.  For example "Type of product or service" (none of the available selections being applicable to me), "sub-type of business" (same) and "monthly sales volume" (that last of which has a $500 minimum--which is way more volume than I'd likely ever do.)

Jim

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

But if you are individual you skip those questions and just fill in what is appropriate.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jseymour
Contributor
Contributor

Not only will it not allow me to skip those questions, but, apparently, now that I've started the process it insists, when I log back in, that I complete it and won't allow me to bypass them.

So now I'm effectively locked out of my PayPal account.

Jim

Login to Me Too

jseymour
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I persuaded it to stop pestering me for that info... somehow.

I think they've changed some stuff, as of today, and failed to actually, you know... test it.

ETA: What a mess!  I've just emailed PayPal, telling them that if the Premier account type is no longer available, please revert me to a Personal account.  If they can't do that, I guess I'll just have to have the account deleted and start over.  A shame, after having it for 14 years.

Jim

Login to Me Too

ManiDonBeats
New Community Member

Im stuck also!! 😞

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.