Personal Payments

jjgl
Contributor
Contributor

I normally get paid for items I sell on ebay and have to pay a fee. Is there a way to get paid for something by a friend or family member, without incurring a fee from Paypal?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes, get them to use the gift/family/friends option when they send your payment.

Its free as long as they fund the payment via a bank account or funds in their paypal balance, you will pay a charge if they fund it with a debit or credit card.

But if you are selling goods they should not use that option as they would lose their buyer protection. Also if you are selling to others and asking them to do that and paypal see you are selling and asking buyers to use that option you put your account at risk.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jjgl
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

Yes, get them to use the gift/family/friends option when they send your payment.

Its free as long as they fund the payment via a bank account or funds in their paypal balance, you will pay a charge if they fund it with a debit or credit card.

But if you are selling goods they should not use that option as they would lose their buyer protection. Also if you are selling to others and asking them to do that and paypal see you are selling and asking buyers to use that option you put your account at risk.

Thanks for your quick and helpful respponse. So far, I have only used Paypal for buyers to pay me for items sold occossanionally on Ebay. for that, I always incur a fee in the way that they pay. For this, I don't want my siblings or myself to have to incur a fee for paying for a large item I purchased for my parents. Do I have to do it any special way, such as "Request Payment?" or do they just use their Paypal accounts to send payment to me to my email address?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

They go to send payment > select the family/friends option but remember to tell them to not fund it with a card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

vinhsteven
New Community Member

Hi everybody, what happen if I receive an amount of 50k or more from my family? Do I pay a tax for it? Since I'm an international student, I don't have SSN or TIN.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Iit will be subject to U. S. and international financial regulations, depending on country and other factors.  International regulations are to prevent funds from being used for subversive activities and to comply with both sending and receiving country regulations.  There will likely be daily and cumulative limits.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.