PayPal & Go Daddy "Quick Shopping Cart"

EggHeadShop1
Contributor
Contributor

So I have been using PayPal Express Checkout on my Go Daddy Website (Quick SHopping Cart" & just realized that means that customers MUST have PayPal account to purchase from my site.  So I was going to switch to PayPal Website Standard- which I noticed it allows me to accept credit cards, bill me later, etc without buyer needing PayPal.  As I researched on both sites, (go daddy & PayPal), it looks like PayPal is telling me I can create my own buttons, but Go Daddy makes me choose one of 2 they have listed. 

Does anyone know if i do change this, will I then be able to add any buttoms that I want from PayPal onto Go Daddy Quick Shopping Cart?  Also, under the express checkout that Ive been using, I see an API code (on go daddy quick shopping cart) but ONLY under express checkout - not standard.  It says " To enable refunds and adjustments enter this username" and then lists the API code/name.  I am not sure if I ever needed this on the express checkout??  Because if I did I never knew it & never put that info in anywhere.  I am wondering if that is why my sales have been few & far between, because I sell the same items on eBay as my site & have sales every single day on eBay. 

If anyone has a go daddy quick shopping cart & knows anything about any of this- please let me know.  I am also emailing go daddy, so I will post that once they reply for everyone.  THANK YOU!!!!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can always take another approach, something we been doing for years.  Most hosting sites, including ones like Go Daddy simply provide space on their servers for you to upload or FTP your web site files.  This way you have more control over how your site functions and looks.   You can then use Payments Standard as it was intended, generate the item button code you need and incorporate it into your web site design.   This method does not lock you into someone else's templates or forms but, it does require some HTML knowledge and an understanding of how the FTP process works.

Login to Me Too

EggHeadShop1
Contributor
Contributor

Ok.  So basically I can just copy the paypal payments standard HTML code & paste it into my go daddy site?  Because I was told I need to purchase - PayPal WebSite Payments Pro- for my site (which I do not know if that is different or what).  All i know is that they said that is the paypal merchant gateway for credit card payments on a website.  But when I did some research i was under the impression i could just use the paypal standard for my website.  Do you know if that is true- or is it just another upsell go daddy is trying to convince me to do....

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Really can't speak for GoDaddy, never used them.  We use a different host, Network Solutions.  Everything we do is basically manual however, we did save some time by using a site template.

These guys have great templates and you can customize them. They also have some templates with the PayPal Standard code for both Add to Cart and Buy Now :

http://allwebcodesign.com/setup/index.htm

We build and test our sites locally first, meaning on a computer in the office, then incorporate the PayPal Add to Cart code.  When were satisfied with the look and function, we upoad or FTP the entire site to our host and were live. 

The problem with some hosting sites, although they try to make building an ecommerce site easy, they lock you into certain processes.

Login to Me Too

Bradley_Barks
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'd also suggest using a "less restictive" hosting setup. 

This way, as snowshoe pointed out, you can customize and utilize the exact PayPal buttons you prefer, with just a little bit of tweaking and understanding. 

Although, it can get a bit complicated, which could be stressful if you're not ready for it - I love content management systems for this reason, mainly WordPress - the WP platform is incredibly easy to theme, customize, add new posts, pages, and it would easily allow for you to add whatever style PayPal checkout buttons you'd prefer, so you can accept CCs, BillMeLater, etc. 

Best of luck and I'd be interested to see what GD has to say - a post back here would be great, thanks! 

Login to Me Too

EggHeadShop1
Contributor
Contributor

So - i was able to change my shopping cart in go daddy for free to PayPal website Standard - somehow i figured it out- but here is the best part about it.  My first order of $286.00 is missing- in limbo somewhere!!!!  I call go daddy- they blame it on paypal & vise versa- i have been on the phone for 5 hrs back & forth tonight & still have no answer of how to fix this or anything!!!  If someone knows anything about this- please let me know. 

I know it is go daddy's fault because it always is, I even asked them to delete all the captured PayPal info they have for my site so I can start new & input the API (third party access) etc, they tell me they can't!!!

At this point I am willing to switch back to express checkout just to be able to receive payments & now go daddy site is not letting me.  This is so awful. 

I would NEVER EVER recommend Go Daddy websites to anyone!!!!  DO NOT DO IT- if i knew what i know now, when I started this, I would have chosen a way less expensive shopping cart/website hosting !!!!  IT HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THEM.  I've done everything myself- i do not know what my money to open this went to or goes to because they do not know anything!

If there is anyone out there that can explain in simple terms what i need to do - i would really appreciate your help!  I am not a computer wiz & have figured out so much crap that Go Daddy has put me through in the past 6 months, but this issue I have no idea what to do, I am stuck now- can't accept any payments & can't disable the website!!!! 

Login to Me Too

poppau
New Community Member

How exactly did you switch it over... I am in the same boat as you now. I want to enable guest checkout.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.