PayPal Parent / Child accounts requirements

ossigeno
Contributor
Contributor

There is a massive limitation using PayPal as a commercial payment platform in that PayPal only allows a single business PayPal account per business AND a single business name per account. If a business operates more than one website it creates confusion to customers, even in some cases disputes and chargebacks since customers don't recognise the company.

I became hopeful when I read a few articles on this forum with PayPal Parent  / Child accounts but, the less than helpful, PayPal Business Support advise that a business needs to be turning over $100k per month through PayPal to be eligibible for Parent  / Child accounts. What madness. 

I am sure other businesses come across this issue. How do they overcome? Operate multiple businesses just to open additional PayPal accounts? Or use other payment solutions?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Yes to both your questions.

Seems requirements have changed for the Parent / Child accounts.  In the past (few years back) you just needed Payments Pro.  You may want to ask a few questions in the Developer forum to verify if indeed you were given accurate info.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/paypal

Login to Me Too

lesleyaustin
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if you will find this a month later, but I just opened a Child Account and don't by any means have a business that large. I was also confused about the limitations on how many accounts you can have, and already had a Business and a Personal account.

But I spend some time on the phone with Merchant Services and discovered that I could easily open up another Business account with a new email address and they then linked them...parent/child.

Login to Me Too

AleksejMyasnik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am very intersted in this part of your reply:
"a new email address and they then linked them...parent/child."

how did you that? specially the linking thing?
We were trying to establish parent/child account but we did not manage and we even called PayPal they said they do not have such an option.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Login to Me Too

lesleyaustin
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Yes, it's hard to find the correct information. I read about it here somewhere, then called *Paypal Merchant Services*. That is the important part. If you call the regular Paypal help, they won't know what you are talking about. During the process, I got transfered out of Merchant Services on the phone over and over again. So as soon as you realize you are talking to someone who doesn't understand, just ask to be transfered to Merchant Services.

So, I was told to simply signup for a new business account with a different email address than my original one. I did that easily and then you just call Merchant Services and they will link up your accounts-parent/child. You can't do it yourself online. 

Good luck! 

P.S. I'm sorry I don't have the Merchant Services phone number, but you can find it online somewhere.

Login to Me Too

AleksejMyasnik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It was helpful. We called Merchant Services. At least there the guys know what we are talking about.

But unfortunately we got an answer that this service is provided for specific regions. Would you please let us know where you are from? 
Thanks a lot in advance for your time to answer!

Login to Me Too

lesleyaustin
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the US, east coast.

Sorry if it won't work for you!

Login to Me Too

AleksejMyasnik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply!
It looks like this option is available for the States only.

Thanks a lot again 🙂

Login to Me Too

AleksejMyasnik
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, we are in the UK and that's where it did not work.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.