Online Contract Required before accepting money?

leene
New Community Member

Hi There. I'm trying to start my own business and was wondering if anyone knows if paypal has some sort of business tool that deals with contracts.

I design custom invitations, birth announcements, thank you cards etc. I want to send my clients an online contract first and if they agree to the terms and conditions of the contract, then I would like them to send me a 25% non-refundable deposit of their order to confirm their order.

Does something liket his exist? Or you business owners, how do you go about contracts and sending invoices/requesting money for your services?

I would appreciate any advice from anyone. Mahalo!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You could use the Invoice feature as there is a field for Terms and Conditions. 

But, be aware of a few things:

Regardless of the policies you may have, PayPal's User Agreement overrides yours.  Granted when you dealing with honest people, this really is not a problem however, when dealing with not so honest people and there's a few out there, you're going to take a loss.

Case in point:  Lets say you have a 30 return policy.  In the User Agreement, PayPal allows 45 days.  The customer has the item for 39 days, contacts you requesting a refund, you explain to the customer that your policy is 30 days.

Customer gets upset, opens a dispute requesting a refund on the 40th day, PayPal does their thing and in most cases, will refund the money to the customer.  PayPal does require that the customer is to return the item first before receiving the refund but, they really don't have solid method to enforce that.  Customer enters a fake tracking number, PayPal does the refund whether you like it or not.  In the mean time, no one actually follows up to verify that you received your item.  Customer now has both the item and their money back.

Last, do take the time to go thru the User Agreement.  For example, services, intangible items, digital goods and vehicles are not covered for Seller Protection.  You assume all risk.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.