Nonprofit organizations and paypal fees

jillsmo
Contributor
Contributor

As a non profit organization accepting donations through Paypal, is there a way to give my donors the option of paying the paypal fee at the time of their donation?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi jillsmo,

I'd be happy to offer some clarification.

Like your organization, the payment processor you use also has regulatory requirements that must be met when handling donations. For the processing of charitable donations, a business account would be required. The director can be the listed contact name, but the account would have to be in the name of the organization.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why is anyone paying a fee?

Surely as you are not selling anything your donators can go to send money > personal tab then select gift payment and as long as its funded via instant bank transfer or paypal balance and not a card then no fee is charged. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi jillsmo and kernowlass,

Welcome to the forums, jillsmo! Welcome back, kernowlass! 🙂

I'd be happy to offer some clarification. Donations are not the same as personal transfers. If you're sending money to a friend or family member, that's a personal transfer. If you're making a donation, it's not a personal transfer.

As a Nonprofit organization, jillsmo, you may be eligible to receive payments under a reduced rate. Please take a look at the PayPal for Nonprofits page to learn about your options.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

jillsmo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia!

Thanks for your response, unfortunately it does not answer my question.

Regardless of how much the fee is for the payment, I would like to give my donors the option of paying it for me, in the same way that senders can pay the fee during a personal transfer. Is it possible?

Thanks,

Jill 🙂

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi jillsmo,

Oops, sorry! The fee for a payment is always paid by the receiver.

Personal transfers are the only situation where the sender can opt to pay the fee.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

jillsmo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you again!

Is there any reason why we can't create a personal account for our organization, in the name of the Executive Director, in order to make this possible? Any reason as far as Paypal is concerned, that is?

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi jillsmo,

I'd be happy to offer some clarification.

Like your organization, the payment processor you use also has regulatory requirements that must be met when handling donations. For the processing of charitable donations, a business account would be required. The director can be the listed contact name, but the account would have to be in the name of the organization.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.