Non-US Citizen tax on US Paypal account

phillip29
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
         I recently received an email from Paypal:

We couldn't confirm the tax ID number you recently provided. Please help us by updating your tax ID number, and make sure that the name
listed on your PayPal profile is correct by clicking on the following link: 
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/helpscr?cmd=_profile-tin

Well the problem is that the link is only for US citizens, asking for three different numbers - Social security, TIN and employer number. I am not a US citizen, I am an Australian and have been with Paypal for 15 years. I have a US account and do business with Amazon. I visit US regularly but I am neither a resident nor a US citizn.

I have a business verified account and I supplied my Australian tax file number when I set up my Paypal account years ago. I think over the years I have verified this number at least twice but there is no provision to enter these details on Paypals' website now. Perhaps it has changed due to the split with Ebay?

Anyway, this is causing me an enormous amount of wasted time, as I have contacted Paypal several times by phone and email. Email responses I received had nothing to do with my question, suggesting I update my email address and phone numbers. In my second call yesterday to the special department that deals with this, the assistant told me to put my Australian tax file number in the ITIN box which I did, but got a message saying that it did not work or some such.

I told the telephone advisor this and he told me that it "went in on his end" and "it works" - suggesting that the problem was fixed. Today I received an email saying "The EIN number you have provided cannot currently be verified as being issued by the IRS", so I am going around in circles here. I also told him that I could see the last few digits of my Australian tax number under "EIN" - employer identity number - where it still is today.

Questions
1. Given the fact that I have already provided my Australian tax number and have been with Paypal for many years, do I even have to verify my tax number, as I pay my taxes in my own country?

2. Is there some Paypal weblink that allows people in my situation to enter my tax details? There is absolutely no information for foreign nationals anywhere that I can see, or in the IRS guidelines on Paypal's website.

3. Or do I have to update my tax status with IRS and get a TIN? There seems to be no clear information provided about this on Paypal's website.

I would appreciate any assistance with this as I have run into brick walls everywhere.
Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.