Is someone trying to scam me?

VickiB1980
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I have an item on Ebay for sale, however I have had someone contact me to say they are inetersted in the item and would pay me additional to cover postage to South Africa (I am in the UK).  So i sent a payment request which has not yet been responded too. This morning i received an email from 'paypal' saying that the funds had been received, but nothing in my account, and then another one from 'paypal', saying i need to ship the item within 24 hours and then i wll get my funds.  Apparently this is the new policy from ebay/paypal.  Does this sound right to you? 

Thanks in advance for your help

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VickiB1980

OH NO IT DOESN'T..............READ THIS >>>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

VickiB1980
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your response.  

Do I let them know I am on to them or do I just ignore them now?

Kind regards

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VickiB1980

Just ignore them, its normally scammers working all the time sending out to loads of people.

If you do react and send abusive messages etc (not saying you would) then they have been known to sign up your email addy to unsavoury websites.

You could just reply and say that no money has appeared in your paypal account so until it does you are not sending anything.

Then if it was an ebay transaction file for an unpaid item dispute to get your final value fee back and relist.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.