IBAN bank account support missing?

Faravid
Contributor
Contributor

Well I just learned that paypal does not support IBAN accounts.

My bank does not issue traditional bank account numbers anymore and IBAN account number is 18 numbers (and letters) long, which is more than PayPal's supported max 14 numbers.

I believe I am not only one having this issue, how come there is no IBAN support? It's international account standard!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Faravid,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Sorry for any confusion.  PayPal does support IBANs in some countries but in some cases we do not require the full IBAN be entered because we already know the country of the customer.  Typically the first two letters of the IBAN represent the country. The next two characters are check digits derived from the next 14 characters.  Since we only support IBAN numbers for the country that the PayPal account was opened in, those two letters cannot be specified.

If the full IBAN for your country is 18 characters (probably Denmark, NL or Finland I'd guess).  You'll need to enter the last 14 characters of the IBAN.  If you are trying to use an IBAN in a different country than the PayPal account, I recommend opening a PayPal account in that country.

I hope this helps. 😄

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Faravid
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, good to know it works.

I'd really suggest to allow user to enter full IBAN number just to make the system alot clearer and changing the form to explain traditional and IBAN numbers are allowed.

We are required to enter the full IBAN number when we pay and send money through our bank system.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.