How to retain donor information for non-profit's records?

PITmanStats
Contributor
Contributor

I was planning on helping a local high school/district create a PayPal account for an upcoming fundraiser. We will have a web site, and wanted to provide the opportunity for viewers to donate directly from the web site (via PayPal "Donate" button). However, I have received the following requirements from the treasurer that have made me think twice about using PayPal and if it will work for us. Here is what our treasurer said is required for tracking donations:

"1.  Name & address of person donating

2.  How much is the donation
3.  Day of donation
4.  Whatever credit card info is used
5.  Date that amount will be deposited
6.  Is there an amount from the deposit that we don't receive, because it goes to PayPal?
7.  If that is true, how do I know how much to deduct?

That is the information that I know that I will need, but there could be more. Especially since I don't know how PayPal works."

Please provide a prompt response if 100% of these requirements can get met with PayPal, and also any links or resources that address this topic. If PayPal will not work, what other web site provides suitable services? Thank you.

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PitmanStats, hope this helps with your decision.

In order to collect the additional info you will need to include some extra text input boxes with the button code.  Your item button code must be done manually.  Two reasons, the online button creator has it limitations and does not have features for collecting extra info.   Second, PayPal shares limited information with you, you won't get the name and address info nor will you get any credit card info.  That's how Payments Standard is designed.

To collect the extra info, suggest using the option variables on0, os0, on1, os1, etc.  You can easily create text input boxes using these variables and this info will be passed to your email notifications and account history.  If you're not familiar with manually button coding, you'll need some help.  This guide has a ton of info. https://www.x.com/sites/default/files/pp_websitepaymentsstandard_integrationguide.pdf

The fees are 2.9% plus $.30 for each transaction unless you are a registered non-profit or 501(c)(3)s, you would have register your non-profit with PayPal to receive a reduced rate.

If you absolutely require credit card info, then you can't use Payments Standard, you would have to Payments Pro, cost is $30 a month, sale or no sale plus the transaction fees.  With Pro, everything is done on your server, the customer is not sent to PayPal, only the credit card info and transaction info.  You have total control of the process.

Note also that setting up an account for the school will require an email address, bank account and credit card.  You can make everything work but, it will take a little time to get it setup as you need to ensure that the PayPal Account is verified, else, the account will have limits imposed. 

Donations and non-profit info:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Tips-from-Moderators/Donations-and-Fundraising-Resources/m-p/420... 

If all this sounds a bit much, there are also 3rd party services out there. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Debit and Credit cards can't bounce.  If someone uses a Debit card and they have insufficient funds, they will end up with an overdraft charge from their bank.  It should not be an issue with you as banks will complete the transaction and get their funds back plus more from the card owner.  As for Credit cards, unless the card was stolen, there should not be any issues.  Normally with merchant accounts, the cards are either authoried or rejected right away.  There's always the chance of something going wrong but, that's how things work.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PitmanStats, hope this helps with your decision.

In order to collect the additional info you will need to include some extra text input boxes with the button code.  Your item button code must be done manually.  Two reasons, the online button creator has it limitations and does not have features for collecting extra info.   Second, PayPal shares limited information with you, you won't get the name and address info nor will you get any credit card info.  That's how Payments Standard is designed.

To collect the extra info, suggest using the option variables on0, os0, on1, os1, etc.  You can easily create text input boxes using these variables and this info will be passed to your email notifications and account history.  If you're not familiar with manually button coding, you'll need some help.  This guide has a ton of info. https://www.x.com/sites/default/files/pp_websitepaymentsstandard_integrationguide.pdf

The fees are 2.9% plus $.30 for each transaction unless you are a registered non-profit or 501(c)(3)s, you would have register your non-profit with PayPal to receive a reduced rate.

If you absolutely require credit card info, then you can't use Payments Standard, you would have to Payments Pro, cost is $30 a month, sale or no sale plus the transaction fees.  With Pro, everything is done on your server, the customer is not sent to PayPal, only the credit card info and transaction info.  You have total control of the process.

Note also that setting up an account for the school will require an email address, bank account and credit card.  You can make everything work but, it will take a little time to get it setup as you need to ensure that the PayPal Account is verified, else, the account will have limits imposed. 

Donations and non-profit info:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Tips-from-Moderators/Donations-and-Fundraising-Resources/m-p/420... 

If all this sounds a bit much, there are also 3rd party services out there. 

Login to Me Too

PITmanStats
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that information.

I have another question. I've received 3 donations to another account within the last few months. Only 1 of the 3 had a street address on it. How do I make this information required? According to a friend who has set up a non-profit PayPal account (and this web site), address is stored and should come through automatically... but it's not coming through on every donation. Why is this?

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

To get specific info, you would have collect it on your side first, then pass that info on using the option variables.  You would need a script to make the text input boxes required.

Login to Me Too

PITmanStats
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again, snowshoe. I've found the Advanced option to mark that I must have the customer's Shipping Address. I'm assuming this would make Address required, then, allowing us to send them any kind of Thank You, etc.

The last question the treasurer asked me last night was basically "Can debit/credit cards bounce like checks?" In other words, is there any way our non-profit account can get charged for insufficient funds by a donor who does not have the money they are trying to donate either with a debit or credit card?

While this is not related to the original question for this topic, you can answer it, if you know the answer. In the meantime, I will be searching the rest of the community for a similar question. Thank you!

Login to Me Too
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Debit and Credit cards can't bounce.  If someone uses a Debit card and they have insufficient funds, they will end up with an overdraft charge from their bank.  It should not be an issue with you as banks will complete the transaction and get their funds back plus more from the card owner.  As for Credit cards, unless the card was stolen, there should not be any issues.  Normally with merchant accounts, the cards are either authoried or rejected right away.  There's always the chance of something going wrong but, that's how things work.

Login to Me Too

PITmanStats
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. You've been a great help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.