Have Tax Information questions? Post here!

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the Tax Information thread!

Should I post my question here?

Starting in 2011, all U.S. payment providers, including PayPal will be required by the IRS to report sales information about merchants who exceed $20,000 and 200 transactions to the IRS. If your question is related to this topic, please reply with a question or to assist another member.

We will  be merging existing questions in the Community into this board.  More information will be made available later.  Until an update is provided, please check out the previous IRS Workshop and www.paypal.com/irs. 

What questions don't go here?

All other tax-related questions, such as Profile settings for Tax, adding tax to invoices, adding tax to payments, whether or not you should charge your buyers tax, what tax rates to charge, are considered Off Topic and will be moved.  These questions are better placed in the About Business board instead.

Why can't I start a new Topic?

To facilitiate productivity in this board, and to keep questions and answers in one place, members can only post questions in this thread.  You will be able to reply to this topic, but not start a separate, new thread.

Will a PayPal Employee answer my question?

The PayPal Community Help Forum is a venue for members to assist other members, and is not an avenue to reach customer service.  If you require immediate assistance, assistance directly from PayPal, or account specific information, please contact customer service. 

Another community member is not an employee and is providing assistance to you as a fellow customer. PayPal employees will post in the Community from time to time, but they will always be marked as an employee.  This is noted by the PayPal logo next to their user ID. 

How will this board be moderated?

To help foster this board into a valuable help resource for members, we will be removing any unproductive posts.  Please review the Community Rules and Guidelines to learn more about posting guidelines.

Posting Tips

If you are asking a question, please provide as much information about the situation as you can.  The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for another community member to understand the issue and provide an insightful answer.  Please remember that posting your own or another person's contact information, physical address, email address, full name, phone number, or any other personally identifiable information is prohibited.

Thank you for helping us keep the Community Help forum a friendly and productive environment for all members. We look forward to your contributions! Smiley Happy

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
377 REPLIES 377

Is there a report that can be run in paypal that shows how much money total I have made the entire year that includes gifts? I understand that gift payments are not calculated toward the 20K for taxes. I want to make sure I have a good handle on the income coming into the holiday season.

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too

Kittie13
New Community Member

On my account I'm being asked for a Tax ID, I've looked everywhere for an answer and haven't found one at all and because of it I'm afraid to sell anything on Ebay period.

I'm disabled, I'm being cared for by another family member and I don't make any money hardly at all that I don't quilify in getting Tax ID number. I am a US citizan and I have given Paypal my SSN at the very least but because it keeps asking for Tax Id which there's no way I'll ever be able to provide since I'm not eligable and haven't been eligable for Tax returns, especially since I won't be selling anywhere near the amount limitations and I'm not planning on being any big seller on Ebay.

Would the Tax Id not even apply to me at all then, can I still sell on Ebay and not worry about it? I would really appreciate some advice on this...

Login to Me Too

thirpon

@Kittie13 wrote:

On my account I'm being asked for a Tax ID, I've looked everywhere for an answer and haven't found one at all and because of it I'm afraid to sell anything on Ebay period.

I'm disabled, I'm being cared for by another family member and I don't make any money hardly at all that I don't quilify in getting Tax ID number. I am a US citizan and I have given Paypal my SSN at the very least but because it keeps asking for Tax Id which there's no way I'll ever be able to provide since I'm not eligable and haven't been eligable for Tax returns, especially since I won't be selling anywhere near the amount limitations and I'm not planning on being any big seller on Ebay.

Would the Tax Id not even apply to me at all then, can I still sell on Ebay and not worry about it? I would really appreciate some advice on this...

Your social security number is your tax id number.  You do not have to get a TIN number.  Any money reported to the IRS will be sent under your SSN.

Login to Me Too

Zukster

My friend and I share a paypal account. He has been selling items and eBay and it is now asking for a tax ID number. He said he would put his in but it is my name on the paypal account. Who would be responable for the taxes if any were to occur if he put in his tax ID number in my paypal account?

Login to Me Too

Bigballer
New Community Member

Okay new to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked.  I have a simple question I think.  I want to get  a head start on next years taxes. Here is my question.  Or what I want to do.  I want to be able to find a total on how much I spent in Shipping last year that I paid for through Paypal and then I want to have a total for my revenue of what I made.  Then also how much I paid Paypal for the year.  I believe that's the only 3 items I will need to know to fill out my taxes.  If you can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks

BB

Login to Me Too

lindab142
Contributor
Contributor

In IL, I now need to charge sales tax for every order - from every state. 

How do I set this up? 

I have it in US right now and in IL. I'm not sure how to do it. 

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

pleco39
i dont know if i am in the right post to ask,but here it goes, Is paypal require to report 1099 for income sales of services , from a paypal personal account if reaches the limit of 20.000 ? Thanks in advance
Login to Me Too

JudyC
Contributor
Contributor

Why do I have to continually enter by Taxpayer ID number? I have done this about a dozen times yet it is still flagged on my profile. How do I find out if this has been registered?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.