Have Tax Information questions? Post here!

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the Tax Information thread!

Should I post my question here?

Starting in 2011, all U.S. payment providers, including PayPal will be required by the IRS to report sales information about merchants who exceed $20,000 and 200 transactions to the IRS. If your question is related to this topic, please reply with a question or to assist another member.

We will  be merging existing questions in the Community into this board.  More information will be made available later.  Until an update is provided, please check out the previous IRS Workshop and www.paypal.com/irs. 

What questions don't go here?

All other tax-related questions, such as Profile settings for Tax, adding tax to invoices, adding tax to payments, whether or not you should charge your buyers tax, what tax rates to charge, are considered Off Topic and will be moved.  These questions are better placed in the About Business board instead.

Why can't I start a new Topic?

To facilitiate productivity in this board, and to keep questions and answers in one place, members can only post questions in this thread.  You will be able to reply to this topic, but not start a separate, new thread.

Will a PayPal Employee answer my question?

The PayPal Community Help Forum is a venue for members to assist other members, and is not an avenue to reach customer service.  If you require immediate assistance, assistance directly from PayPal, or account specific information, please contact customer service. 

Another community member is not an employee and is providing assistance to you as a fellow customer. PayPal employees will post in the Community from time to time, but they will always be marked as an employee.  This is noted by the PayPal logo next to their user ID. 

How will this board be moderated?

To help foster this board into a valuable help resource for members, we will be removing any unproductive posts.  Please review the Community Rules and Guidelines to learn more about posting guidelines.

Posting Tips

If you are asking a question, please provide as much information about the situation as you can.  The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for another community member to understand the issue and provide an insightful answer.  Please remember that posting your own or another person's contact information, physical address, email address, full name, phone number, or any other personally identifiable information is prohibited.

Thank you for helping us keep the Community Help forum a friendly and productive environment for all members. We look forward to your contributions! Smiley Happy

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
377 REPLIES 377

danielwalls

To anyone that can help,

I work as a contractor for a friend of mine on an houyly basis.  I receive payment through PayPal as a mass payment sent directly to my PayPal account from the 'employers' PayPal account.

Since the payment is sent as a mass payment fees are not take from the payment that I receive.  I have received well over $20K in payments, however, I have way below 200 transactions for the entire year of 2011.

Will the 1099-K be applicable in my situation?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello danielwalls!

According to www.paypal.com/irs,  you would need to hit both criteria for PayPal to file a 1099-K:

"Under the new legislation, we’ll report to the IRS the total payment volume received by US account holders whose payments exceed both of these levels in a calendar year:

•   $20,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year
  •   200 payments for goods or services in the same year"

Based on the information you have provided, it would not appear that PayPal would report this to IRS as part of this legislation.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

erwin_smn
New Community Member

I don't understand why paypal can't send me an OFFICIAL or SIGNED letter showing my name and address and showing that ITIN is required.

I am not a US citizen and I do not work here, So I do not have SSN, ITIN, or ETIN.

IRS can not give me ITIN because I do not have any income.

IRS said if a bank or any financial institution (paypal) required ITIN, then I must show the document to IRS that Paypal need ITIN from me.

I print the email that I received from paypal and I print my paypal account showing that my account need ITIN, but IRS refuse those document. They need an OFFICIAL and SIGNED letter from paypal.

My application requestiing ITIN  has been rejected twice by IRS due to unsupported document.

I am confuse now and I can't remove the limitation on my paypal account. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

erwin_smn - Are you subject to US taxation?  If not, please contact customer service.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

seasalt81
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a report that will show how many transactions we've had this year? I found the Financial Summary, but that only lists the amount of money made. 

If we will be getting a 1099k, when will that be available in the Tax Documents section of our account?

Thank!

Login to Me Too

Memnoch9299
New Community Member

My account has around 40-50 transactions and just under $5,000 so obviously I'm not going to meet either threshold, but how do I go about reporting this information for my taxes? Do I need to request a 1099-K? If so how do I go about that?

Thanks,

Memnoch9299

Login to Me Too

Islands-Of-Time
Contributor
Contributor

Why are you asking for my tax ID #? I have been using PayPal a while but, just now got a request for this. An explanation would by nice. Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello Islands-Of-Time, 

Welcome to the Community Robot wink

The reason PayPal is asking for your Tax ID# is because the new IRS law requires that all U.S. payment processors, including PayPal, report gross payment information to the IRS about certain customers who receive payments for the sale of goods or services.

We’re required to report gross payments received by our customers who:

• Receive more than $20,000 in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year, AND
  • Receive more than 200 payments for goods or services in the same year.

Please visit the PayPal IRS information page for more information.

Misty

Login to Me Too

Soon91
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, i'm a foreign student at US and i'm using my US student bank account for my paypal. What should i put in tax ID number as well as SSN?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello Soon91 and Welcome to the Community Robot wink.

To determine if you would want to provide your SSN# or TIN would depend on how you are filing your taxes. To answer your question, add your SSN# if you are going to file and claim the funds received personally. If you are going to file and claim  the funds received under a business add your TIN#. You may also want to review the PayPal IRS guidelines to determine what number to add.  I hope this helps.

Smiley HappyMisty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.