Have Tax Information questions? Post here!

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the Tax Information thread!

Should I post my question here?

Starting in 2011, all U.S. payment providers, including PayPal will be required by the IRS to report sales information about merchants who exceed $20,000 and 200 transactions to the IRS. If your question is related to this topic, please reply with a question or to assist another member.

We will  be merging existing questions in the Community into this board.  More information will be made available later.  Until an update is provided, please check out the previous IRS Workshop and www.paypal.com/irs. 

What questions don't go here?

All other tax-related questions, such as Profile settings for Tax, adding tax to invoices, adding tax to payments, whether or not you should charge your buyers tax, what tax rates to charge, are considered Off Topic and will be moved.  These questions are better placed in the About Business board instead.

Why can't I start a new Topic?

To facilitiate productivity in this board, and to keep questions and answers in one place, members can only post questions in this thread.  You will be able to reply to this topic, but not start a separate, new thread.

Will a PayPal Employee answer my question?

The PayPal Community Help Forum is a venue for members to assist other members, and is not an avenue to reach customer service.  If you require immediate assistance, assistance directly from PayPal, or account specific information, please contact customer service. 

Another community member is not an employee and is providing assistance to you as a fellow customer. PayPal employees will post in the Community from time to time, but they will always be marked as an employee.  This is noted by the PayPal logo next to their user ID. 

How will this board be moderated?

To help foster this board into a valuable help resource for members, we will be removing any unproductive posts.  Please review the Community Rules and Guidelines to learn more about posting guidelines.

Posting Tips

If you are asking a question, please provide as much information about the situation as you can.  The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for another community member to understand the issue and provide an insightful answer.  Please remember that posting your own or another person's contact information, physical address, email address, full name, phone number, or any other personally identifiable information is prohibited.

Thank you for helping us keep the Community Help forum a friendly and productive environment for all members. We look forward to your contributions! Smiley Happy

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
377 REPLIES 377

sonnyPI
Contributor
Contributor

I would appreciate a reply to this post, thanks:

Jan-02-201207:24 AM

1. when will PayPal report to the IRS?

2. when and how [online, email, snailmail etc]  will PayPal provide us with a 1099 so it may be filed with our taxes?

Thank you kindly, Sonny

Login to Me Too

captscarlet7
Contributor
Contributor

captscarlet7
Contributor
Contributor

monzair
New Community Member

The answer may be obvious, but I'm not finding it. How do I find my gross payment total for YTD 2011...in other words, PayPal's running total of all goods & services payments that they will report to the IRS? I've been keeping my own running total, and yes, I could add up all the payments in my account history, but I'd like to know PayPal's official total so I can be safe. Thank you!

Login to Me Too

m-kproducts
Contributor
Contributor

I would like this info as well. Thank you!!!  anyone know the answer???

Login to Me Too

Nasi
New Community Member

Hi there,

May be can open several paypal accounts and  Never cross the grosss payment total in each account.

Login to Me Too

Ausworkshop
Contributor
Contributor

These things should be easy but they aren't for some reason.  Paypal should make it easier for people in business to use then maybe they would get more people using it.  Ive spent over an hr trying to find out my total for fees paid in 2010 so I can tell the tax department and claim it as a business cost.

I found a post where many others where asking the same thing.

This should be a simple

I'm about to give up and go to bed.

Login to Me Too

tko

I've been searching and haven't found a good method of determining this either.  I downloaded my payment history and sorted by amount to eliminate the payments to me, but this doesn't filter out the personal (non-purchase-related) payments that I received.

It would be nice if paypal had a spot where you could just see "You have received x transactions for a total of $x.xx in 2011 from purchases".  If not, I would settle for knowing how I can generate a report to determine this myself.  I want to make absolutely sure my numbers match whatever the IRS receives if I cross the threshold.

An answer from a PayPal staff member/mod would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Login to Me Too

ccerts
New Community Member

Agreed.

How will I know if IRC Section 6050W affects me?

PayPal will track the payment volume of your account(s) to check whether your payment volume goes above both of these levels in a calendar year:

•   $20,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year
  •   200 payments for goods or services in the same year

Since Paypal is tracking this, why isn't there an option to see where you are at?

Login to Me Too

mel150
Contributor
Contributor

What about those of us who aren't US citizens, and therefore don't ave a tax ID?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.