Duplicate Tracking Numbers Mystery, Please Advise

artgal
Contributor
Contributor

I have a problem here ..don't know how it happened nor what I can do to resolve it.

I just got a message from a regular Etsy customer asking where her order was. My records show that it was mailed on 5/10, however the tracking # search didn't show any movement on her First Class package, which usually arrives at her PO Box in CA. in a few days. I knew it was mailed so, confused, I called USPS and spoke to a machine. When I entered the tracking info it told me the package was delivered to a PO Box in ARKANSAS. I looked through my invoices, and sure enough, there was an order that went out to a different customer at the AK address on the same day and was delivered 2 days later. (Not to confuse but the AR customer ordered a completely different item so unless I ask her, I have no way of knowing which item she received). Anyway, the important thing is that both shipping label receipts show the exact same Tracking #. 

I have no idea how this could have happened. It's a first in all my years selling. I guess what I'm trying to find out is:
1. What happens to the package with the duplicate Tracking # (the one sent to CA but never received)?

2. What can I do to correct this, hopefully retrieve the package or have it redirected to the CA customer?

It looks like I was charged for both labels so the whole thing is a mystery to me.

Thanks for any advice.

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, that's a lot of the information I was looking for, to track down the error.

I used to print labels only from USPS.com, but this year USPS.com stopped doing the discounts so I have used PayPal multishipping tool for labels (Priority Mail), not always from the PayPal transacton.  Here's what I htink happens if you print and pay for the label directly from the PayPal transcation detail.  If you do that the buyer address will be automatic and the tracking number will be automatically added to the transaction.  If you do it this way for each of two transactons you should be able to go back to those PayPal transactions and view the tracking number.  The tracking numbers should be different.  If they are the same, then we've isolated to problem to PayPal and Pitney-Bowes.

You should also be able to go to PayPal multi-shipping tools and review your label purchase detials.  You might have a couple days where you could re-print the labels there also.

To get the tracking numbers into the Etsy order you would have to do it manually, so any error there would be your own.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This seems to be an Etsy issue. You might get more help on the Etsy forums where many people use Etsy for printing labels.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.