Can you remove the quantity field from the shopping cart?

dtmp
Contributor
Contributor

I'm making a shopping cart button for some dated events. I have each date as an option and added a field for the students name. In some instances an individual will pay for several students, so I don't want them to have the option to change the quantity, thus forcing them to create a new entry for each student. Is there a way to disable the editable quanity field on the shopping cart page?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately using Payments Standard there's no features or options to support what you have in mind.

However, there are two work arounds.

Depending on your what you want your coding to look like determines what method.   If a Buy Now item button will meet your needs, you can use that.  Note, the online button creator has it limitations as for number of inputs and selections so you may have to resort to manually coding your item button.

Another option would be to use the "upload" method if you need a shopping cart type look.  Most 3rd party shopping carts and mini carts use this method.  Basically all of the selections, input and calculations are done on your web page or site, then the results are uploaded or passed to the PayPal Checkout Screens.  Sounds like a mini-cart type would work for your needs.  To get an idea of what a mini-cart looks like, check out the examples below:

Here's one:

http://ccaples.com/index.php/basic-scripts/examples-iii/mini-cart-sample

Here's another:

http://ccaples.com/index.php/basic-scripts/examples-iii/another-mini-cart-sample

And here's one more:

http://ereimer.net/nopercart.htm

Upload Tips:

The "Upload Method" allows Developers to create third-party shopping carts that are compatible with PayPal and Website Payments Standard.

• This method functions differently from the standard PayPal Shopping Cart as you cannot change the item quantities on the PayPal Screens.
  • It's intended design is to pass more than one line item to the PayPal Screens through the use of a single submit button.
  • The standard View Cart Button will not work when using the "Upload Method".
  • There are specific variables intended for this purpose.

The required button code variables are:
"cmd" with a value="_cart"

"upload" with a value="1"

item_name_x

amount_x

quantity_x

Where "x" is the number of the item added to the cart starting from 1.

And check out this desktop reference guide:

https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_US/developer/docs/pdf/pp_websitepaymentsstandard_integrat...

Login to Me Too

dtmp
Contributor
Contributor

thanks!

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

DBRVA
Contributor
Contributor

Does any level of PayPla offer this option?  We sell many different items and a lot fo them are one off unique so theer is no way to order but one.  I do not want to use hosted buttons wher I can set up my inventory within paypal.  That is extremely cumbersome for a business like mine where there is high tuirn over of uniquie items.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Other than the work arounds previously mentioned, we do use PayPal's "hosted" inventory feature as we sell 1 of a kind items.  The customer can try to change the quantity on the PayPal Checkout Screen from 1 to 3 for example however, when they proceed to the next page in the checkout process, they get a warning (in red) that there is only 1 item available.  They simply cannot order more than 1 of that item.  We also clearly display on our item web page that there is only 1 item available. 

As you indicated, you don't want to use this feature, your options are to build your own system with a backend database or use a 3rd party cart that the features you need.

Login to Me Too

DBRVA
Contributor
Contributor

We do use MySQL to maintain inventory on line.  It is VERY easy to do so.  We can simply upload all of our inventory form Excel witha  single button click and the paypal code is dynamically generated for each item.  Using hosted buttons for inventory wuld be extremely cimbersom.  We would need to log into paypla and dreate a buttoin any time we get a new item in inventory which happen dozens of times a day.  Then we woud have to duplicate our in house inventory to keep quantities etc synched in paypal.  WAY too much of a PITA.

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There you go.  Sounds like you have what you need on your end.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.