Can a seller request for personal deposits

Pedro_Ferreira
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have a web site and i'm thinking about sell my pieces, so i decided to use paypal. But paypal charges me taxes (for every transaction that a member does) that i can't take for accounting reasons, so i decided to charge back the depositor resulting in less balance to the final member (but this is not yet a good option).

Paypal gives me the opportunity to use a html <form> but that form taxes me instead of taxes the member it self, so the only way to make sure the member pays the taxes instead of me is requesting him to make a personal deposit and choose to pay the tax.

So my question is: As a seller can i request this (that every member can make a personal deposit and choose to pay the tax) on my website? Cuz personal deposits always charges less money comparing to my web form, that would result in loss of earnings from paypal so i assume this as non-possible.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Pedro_Ferreira
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Pedro_Ferreira,

Welcome! 🙂

You are correct.  The personal option when sending a payment is designed for sending and receiving payments between close friends and family members.  If any type of good or service is being provided, the payment would need to be sent as a purchase.  We also recommend sending purchase payments for actual purchases because personal payments are not covered under PayPal Seller Protection or PayPal Purchase Protection.

There are also situations where personal payments would be charged a fee as well.  If the sender uses a debit/credit card to fund the purchase or if they reside in a different country than the recipient, there would still be a fee.

Payment processing fees are considered a business expense that a business would need to account for when creating their business model and pricing for their goods/service.

You can learn more about PayPal fees here:

https://www.paypal.com/fees

We appreciate your business!

I hope this helps. 😄

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Pedro_Ferreira
Contributor
Contributor

Hi frank, thanks for your reply

But do i get banned or blocked from paypal if my members send me payments for example as personal?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Great question.

If a seller is observed to be receiving personal payments for goods or services, it's possible that the seller would lose the ability to receive personal payments in the future.  We don't want anybody to lose that feature so we encourage all sellers to use the correct type of payment to receive funds.  We also don't want a seller to lose out on seller protection as well.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Pedro_Ferreira
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Frank, it was a great help, but specify me one lit thing: What you mean about 'seller protection', it consists on what?.

And so, as i understood there's no another way to receive payments including the fee's reduced on the client side, right?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

I'm happy to clarify. 🙂

@Pedro_Ferreira wrote:

Thanks Frank, it was a great help, but specify me one lit thing: What you mean about 'seller protection', it consists on what?.

Seller Protection refers to PayPal protecting sellers from loss in situations where a payment has to be reversed due to claims that the payment was unauthorized or that the goods were never delivered.

Learn more about Seller Protection here:

https://www.paypal.com/sellerprotection  (this is the US version)  If you're in another country, click the "Security Center" or "Security and Protection" link at the top of any PayPal page.

@Pedro_Ferreira wrote:

And so, as i understood there's no another way to receive payments including the fee's reduced on the client side, right?

Right, payment processing fees are usually always deducted on the seller's end of the payment.  If you think about times you have purchased items on a website or in a store, the seller doesn't usually ask you to pay a fee to pay them for using a card.  The merchant will usually build those costs into their pricing.  While the buyer is technically having a portion of their payment used for processing fees, they don't realize this.  As buyers, we typically don't want to feel like we're having to pay someone extra to process our payment when we're already giving the merchant our business, right? 🙂

- Frank

Login to Me Too

Pedro_Ferreira
Contributor
Contributor

So if i understood you said that a transaction from a web form it's a proof to prove that the user really bought something and didn't make a mistake by sending money by mistake to an user for example. If no, make this clear then : )

Thanks frank, it was a great help that you gave. Have a nice day : )

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.