Buy Now Button does not return the pass-through hidden inputs

vibafima41
New Community Member

Hi all,

I have this problem that makes me want to look for another option other than PayPal. I spent a lot of time and it still does not work. I have this form from my web site:

<html><body> <form name="TheForm" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post"> <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick"> 
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD"> <input type="hidden" name="business" value="MY EMAIL ADDRESS HERE"> <input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Replenish Piggey Account"> <input type="hidden" name="item_number" value="1328846792489"> <input type="hidden" name="amount" value="20"> <input type="hidden" name="return" value="https://costmsa02.vibase.net/burse/buy/r_paypalok.asp"> <input type="hidden" name="cancel_return" value="https://costmsa02.vibase.net/burse/buy/paypalnak.asp"> <input type="hidden" name="cn" value="Comments to the Chicagoland Vibary Network for Business"> <input type="hidden" name="custom" value="CB1527|PIG"> <input type="hidden" name="invoice" value="20|1328848"> <input type="hidden" name="first_name" value="CB1527"> <input type="hidden" name="last_name" value=" - Aaapc"> <input type="hidden" name="address1" value="ADDRESS LINE 1 INFORMATION"> <input type="hidden" name="address2" value="ADDRESS LINE 2 INFORMATION"> </form> <script> document.TheForm.submit(); </script> </body> </html>

When the form is submitted to PayPal, I have 2 problems:

1. 1) I don't see wherethe first_name, last_name, address1 and address2 are used.
  2. 2) The MORE  IMPORTANT issue is that after payment is made, there is a link back to my web site. When the user clicks on this link, my returned page as defined in the return field is called (so this is good). HOWEVER, the pass-through items, "custom" and "invoice", are not passed, resulting in failure in my returned web page since it does not know what to process. This is killing our business since we have to do the processing by hand.

Thanks for any help.

Krup

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi vibafima41,

Welcome! 🙂

@vibafima41 wrote:
  1. 1) I don't see wherethe first_name, last_name, address1 and address2 are used.

That information can be prepopulated on the Guest Checkout or PayPal checkout pages depending on whether it's set to override existing addresses.  Learn more about Address Handling here:

Address Handling

@vibafima41 wrote:
2) The MORE  IMPORTANT issue is that after payment is made, there is a link back to my web site. When the user clicks on this link, my returned page as defined in the return field is called (so this is good). HOWEVER, the pass-through items, "custom" and "invoice", are not passed, resulting in failure in my returned web page since it does not know what to process. This is killing our business since we have to do the processing by hand.

It's unusual that the custom and invoices variables are not being passed to you.  Looking at your code, both variable values include the | (pipe) character. I suppose it's possible this character is causing a problem as it usually doesn't work well with URLs so that may explain why it's not working PDT.  If those variables are still not being passed even if the vertical bar is not included, I would file a ticket with our Merchant Technical Support.

Here's the IPN and PDT variable reference as well:  IPN Variables

I hope this helps! 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.