A silly Situation

EvanMcGregor
Contributor
Contributor
Recently, I've been working to scrape up a sum of money over Paypal, due to recent events requiring me to drop a bundle. A family member offered to send me a bunch, but due to him being unused to computers and the like, had no Paypal himself, and had no idea how to go about setting one up to send me money over PayPal directly. I, also being fairly new to PayPal itself, saw that the Request Money option allowed someone to pay my account even if they had no PayPal, through either Credit or Debit Card. At the time, it seemed like the best solution for the amount of money the Family Member wanted to send to me. Unfortunately, it is now being put on a wait list for verification of receipt of an item, as if this were a transaction of material goods. This not being the case, I don't actually have a shipping number, since there's nothing for me to ship, as the buyer was actually just sending me a gift of money. In my current circumstance, I can't really wait the 21 day wait period that I'm seeing on the pending transaction as is. I was wondering if there was any way for the person who sent me the money to confirm this themselves, so that I can receive the money without a 3 week waiting period, and without shipping an item that does not exist. Thank you in advance for any information or advice you may be able to provide. I know this sounds very silly, and I will admit, I have put myself in a rather dumb situation, but at the moment, I haven't got many alternatives.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you were not selling anything then the person that sent you the funds should have used the send money > personal family / friends option.

Instead they must have used the send money > goods option and so paypal saw you as anew seller and held the payment.

You could try contacting paypal and see if they will release it earlier by checking with the sender but not hopeful.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you were not selling anything then the person that sent you the funds should have used the send money > personal family / friends option.

Instead they must have used the send money > goods option and so paypal saw you as anew seller and held the payment.

You could try contacting paypal and see if they will release it earlier by checking with the sender but not hopeful.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

EvanMcGregor
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, the joys of technologically challenged family members. Alright, thanks for the information. At the very least I know what to warn people about if something similar ever comes up in the futre.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.