Double-whammy SCAMMERS

gibson
Contributor
Contributor

Big potential for scamming here!!

According to USPS, either party (sender or recipient) can file an insurance claim for a LOST PACKAGE.  I called USPS 3 times & got three different agents.  The local post office felt only the sender could file the claim.  But who ya' going to believe?

Normally, a recipient COULD NOT start the claim because they DO NOT have the claim (delivery confirmation/insurance) number. 

But, because the party/recipient receives or has access to this CLAIM NUMBER via PAYPAL/EBAY, they can start the claim as well as the sender.

Do you see the potential for scamming here?

The RECIPIENT can file a claim with PAYPAL & get their money back from the sender (this is NOT covered by Seller Protection because there is no proof of delivery).

The RECIPIENT can file a claim with USPS & get their money back from USPS.

They get paid twice! 

Now IF both parties filed a claim at roughly the same time with USPS, USPS MAY (don't count on it with their system) see that both had filed a claim & then there w/be some sort of dispute/settlement done by them.

As a judge would say, they are not only made "whole," but are better off than they were before the dispute.

I thought insurance used to be the first avenue of reimbursement with Paypal's Seller Protection, but it is not today.  The recipient will get reimbursed WITHOUT having to do the insurance claim first.  Which means, Paypal will not check to see if they have made a claim with USPS.  Especially, if they do Paypal first, then the UPSP insurance claim.  You can be pretty darn sure USPS is not going to check with Paypal to see if they had a claim!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.