I think I'm being scammed, but maybe i'm in trouble

1990ranger
Contributor
Contributor

I received a reply for a bike I had on kijiji the guy liked the bike (without seeing it)  and said he would buy, but wanted to do it on paypal, I  set up the account, and I find out he's from England, weird, but he will cover the transportation, sounds good. 

later he emails me that the funds were sent, but he couldn't pay for the shipping, so he added extra (950 dollars CAD) so that I can pay for it from here, except in order to receive the funds I have to pay for the shipping and show paypal the information within 24 hours and they would release the funds.  this is all new to me but it sounded crooked.  the paypal account itself showed one of this information, it was just emails from 'paypal' that showed up in the junk box.

So I backed out I told him it sounded like a scam and wouldn't do it.

Now I get an email from this 'paypal' that says I've violated the code and that the 'FBI' will be contacted ( I live in Canada).  at the top of the list is an email from paypal saying welcome to paypal, doesn't mention any previous history at all.

Have I done anything wrong, or am I being scammed?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

mfpb1234
Contributor
Contributor

Oh you are soooooooo being scammed!

FBI indeed - guess they didn't do their research!

Always check your own PayPal account - don't trust e-mail's.

I myself just told kijiji about an attempted PayPal scam and they reminded me that kijiji is for local/cash sales. Sigh, but it sure was nice thinking somebody was going to buy my item for the full asking price.

Good luck selling your bike!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.