Scam email received to my PayPal correct email address.

HollyMax
Contributor
Contributor

I received a Scam email about a bogus transaction, however it was received to my correct PayPal email address.

How can this information be accessed by the Scammers?  Has PayPal been compromised?

I know for a fact neither my Mail Server, Computer or Phone have been accessed, and the email address (which is just for the PayPal account) never given out.  I am a computer technician, and security conscious.

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HollyMax 

Scam money request or invoice that shows in your Paypal account..

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out money requests or invoices hoping that some of those email addresses are linked to an open Paypal account.

The unsuspecting recipient is often given a fake Paypal phone number in the 'notes' section added by the scammer.
If you did call that number (DO NOT) to query the transaction the scammer tells you that they need to access your computer / Paypal account to cancel that transaction for you.
They will then hack your computer or Paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HollyMax
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'm aware of what they do and how scammers operate, but the email address attached to my PayPal account isn't used anywhere else, it's just for PayPal, so my question still is, how did they get this email address?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HollyMax 

Well I guess if you have purchased items using Paypal then that would be 100 times other websites / merchants and sellers would have your email address. If you have done a 1000 purchases then thats 1000 sellers that would have your email address linked to paypal. So tell me how do you think others may get hold of your paypal email address?? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

HollyMax
Contributor
Contributor

OK thanks, so the answers I'm still looking for, however I would be fairly sure when anyone does a PayPal purchase the person doesn't see the PayPal account email address. 

Why would there be a need for PayPal to show your account email address on a purchase?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HollyMax 

They need your email address to contact you if any issues with your order or to resolve any issues.

Read the moderators reply on this thread.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Buying-with-PayPal/What-information-does-merchant-see/td-p/41885....

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

HollyMax
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but that would only apply if you use the same PayPal email details for the purchase, which I don't. 

As mentioned I don't use the PayPal email account for purchases. 

If the seller needed to contact a buyer it would be by using the email address used for the Purchase.

Login to Me Too

HollyMax
Contributor
Contributor

I don't believe PayPal should be showing a seller your PayPal Account Details, and expect they aren't.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HollyMax 

If you only realised how daft your last 2 comments are.  😂

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

HollyMax
Contributor
Contributor

Possibly but thanks anyway for your interest.  I probably need someone that understands my original question instead of getting replies that have nothing to do with what I'm asking.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.