Is this a verified PayPal email?

KittyTerror
Contributor
Contributor

[Removed] Dear Customer We have a problem crediting your account with the sum of $190.00USD because your account status is not a business account which makes your account limits too low for this transaction, this amount seems to be above your limits, you have to take this urgent step to expand your limit. You have to take this urgent step to increase your business limit on PayPal. To fully expand your account into a business account, contact the buyer of your item to send in an additional payment of $100.00 USD into your PayPal account to expand your limit. Soon as this is done, we will credit your account with the total sum of $290.00USD Confirmation email had also been sent to your (buyer) regarding $100.00 USD additional payment to send, we will secure this transaction with high priority that neither the buyer nor the seller

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KittyTerror 

I can tell its not from the first 2 words. Paypal does not address you as Dear Customer / Member or anything else. They say your full first and last name.

Also...
You never pay any upfront fee as a seller.

Ignore scammers that send fake Paypal emails telling you that you need to pay an upfront fee to verify/upgrade to a business account/or any other reason to accept a payment.

You would certainly never have to send funds especially via another payment processor/bitcoins/ or tokens/vouchers of any sort.

Any fee is auto deducted by Paypal at the same instant the remainder of the payment is credited to your Paypal account balance.

No funds in your balance = you have not yet been paid, even pending/held payments will still show in your Paypal account activity. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

KittyTerror
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks I managed to talk to a PayPal rep on the phone while this was happening too and they confirmed this is a Phishing scam. Glad I’m not as gullible as they thought. Reported the email to PayPal phishing department as well.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.