PayPal recurring payments doesn't show balance option

ShopDeveloper
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, We've developed a subscription system and integrated PayPal's subscription function in it. When customers try to get a subscription they're only given the option to pay by bank or creditcard. I asked two people to test this out. Both persons have enough balance. Both always use PayPal for other subscriptions and never were asked for their Bank or Creditcard first. I want our subscriptions to ask for the Paypal balance first (paypal balance somehow isn't even listed as an option, it goes straight to bank or creditcard). Is there any option I need to pass on to the "create subscription" api call? Or any option in my side (as the seller) to change in my account? Kind regards, John
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

mhelmntrs
Contributor
Contributor
When setting up a subscription with PayPal, the payment options presented to the user can depend on various factors, including the user's PayPal account status, country-specific regulations, and PayPal's risk management policies. However, if you want to prioritize the usage of the PayPal balance for subscriptions, you might want to check and ensure the following: 1. **Customer's PayPal Balance:** Confirm that the customers testing the subscriptions actually have sufficient balance in their PayPal account. If the PayPal balance is not enough to cover the subscription amount, PayPal may prompt users to link a bank account or credit card. 2. **Subscription Billing Agreement:** When creating the subscription, make sure you are using the correct PayPal API call that supports billing agreements. Billing agreements allow PayPal to automatically deduct the subscription amount from the customer's PayPal account. 3. **Payment Preference:** You can specify the preferred payment method when setting up the subscription. In the `createSubscription` API call, check if there's an option to set the `payment_preferences` and configure it to prefer the PayPal balance. Here's an example (Note: The exact parameters might vary based on the PayPal API version you are using): ```json "payment_preferences": { "service_type": "PREPAID", "setup_fee": { "currency_code": "USD", "value": "0.0" }, "setup_fee_failure_action": "CANCEL", "payment_failure_threshold": 1 } ``` 4. **PayPal Business Account Settings:** Ensure that your PayPal business account settings allow for subscription payments and that your account is in good standing. If the issue persists, it might be helpful to reach out to PayPal's support for more specific guidance. They can provide insights into the user experience and any limitations or requirements related to your specific integration and business setup.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.