My bank account number (IBAN) is longer than the permitted 14 characters.

LigamentFoul
New Community Member

I can't add my bank account, because the account number is longer than 14 characters, which is the maximum PayPal accepts. All IBAN account numbers are, to my knowledge, longer than that. There must be something I'm missing here, please help!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

PayPal isn't asking for your IBAN number - it's going to be the bank account number used for external ACH (automated clearing house) transactions.  If all you have is the IBAN number, you'll want to check in with your bank to see what number to use.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

grandeduc
New Community Member

Hi!

My bank in Finland has announced that from November 1st 2011 only IBAN account numbers will be used and older (shorter) account numbers will no longer be valid.

So beginning next month I only have an IBAN bank account number which is 18 characters long (+ BIC code).

IBAN bank account numbers have been mandatory for international money transfers inside the EU since 2007. PayPal is outside the EU but as many PayPal users are from EU countries this is going to affect a lot of people very soon.

Is it possible to update the PayPal software/site/policy to accept IBAN numbers?

Login to Me Too

pamelaFI
New Community Member

Yes I am having the same issue for my business account. So paypal must change their software for Finland, or tell us how to resolve this issue. I looked up other EU countries IBAN numbers and none of thema re within the 14 digit limitt.

Paypal will lose a lot of business in Finland if they do not resolve this issue. Many like me will find another provider for services.

Login to Me Too

itt707
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal still believes it's not their problem. Read the story in Finnish at:

http://www.konversio.fi/konversio/2011/10/sepa-tuli-ja-tilisiirtojen-kaaos-luvassa.html

Login to Me Too

outrospective
New Community Member

Any news here as this seems to be an importent task/question and so far no answer.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

KungFooCowboy
New Community Member

I just ran into the same problem today. When trying to add an IBAN account (which is the European standard these days), the input field would only take 14 digits and the account could not be activated.

So, is PayPal planning to make IBAN accounts available any time soon?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.