PayPal wants to see photo ID, SSN card, proof of address

ana15
Contributor
Contributor

I've been buying on eBay and paying with PayPal for many years, but today all my attempted transactions were refused: "We can't process your payment. Please select a different payment method or check your payment details including your billing address."

When I log into PayPal in a separate browser window, it says that federal regulations require PayPal to "collect specific information to verify your identity" and then goes on to say that I have to provide a photo ID, as if I'm giving a credit card to a store clerk in 1980. And it also asks to see my social security card and some proof of my address.

That seems very strange. How would a photo ID matter to PayPal? Can they see me? I have no camera on my computer.

Has anyone else had this experience? Or is it some kind of elaborate high-tech scam?

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

Udog08
New Community Member

ana15

Have you spoken with PayPal or resolved your problem yet?  Can we expect an update if or when you learn something definitive?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

ana15
Contributor
Contributor

When I realized that the problem was the expiration date, I logged in to PayPal and entered the new expiration date and CSC number.

That seems to have fixed it. I bought a small item on eBay just to test it, and the purchase and payment were completed successfully.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.